Friday, May 30, 2008

Hats

I was just thinking about the analogy that is often used about someone wearing a lot of different hats. As far as actual hats go, it's kinda funny...I love hats, but I don't really wear them that often. I have quite a collection of different hats: baseball hats with lots of different logos, floppy sun hats, visors and I've even owned a cowboy hat or two in days gone by.

But, the idea of wearing hats as an indicator of the different roles a person fulfills is what I've been pondering. I wear a lot of hats. In my business life, I'm a teacher, a developer, a DBA, a consultant, a researcher, a speaker, a writer, a student, a designer, a teammate, a manager, and on and on. In my personal life, I'm a daughter, a grand-daughter, a sister, an aunt, a partner, a mother, a friend, and on and on. A lot of adjectives come to mind too that I suppose would be hats too: perfectionist, seeker, wanderer, peace-maker, and on and on.

So, like I said, I wear a lot of hats. Some days it seems all I do is switch hats. Sometimes it gets tiring. At the end of the day, I occasionally feel as if I haven't gotten much accomplished because it seems like I spent most of my time shifting gears ... and switching hats.

But, I think I really like having so many hats to wear. Imagine if you only had one hat, and you wore it all the time. It'd get dirty and worn and might not even fit so well after a time...but if it's your only hat, you'd have to keep wearing it.

So, even on days when it seems all I do is change hats, I think I'll look back at the end of the day and be glad for it. If variety is the spice of life, and I've got lots of hats, then my life should be quite interesting, and spicy, indeed. And speaking of interesting....





What kinds of hats do you wear?

No comments: