Friday, June 13, 2008

I only thought it was the future of presenting...

In my post from a few days ago, I wrote about a cool new software product, SlideRocket, and the shift I've been making to doing more visually appealing presentations. I still think SlideRocket is one of the coolest things I've seen in a while (especially now since I've gotten a beta account to play with!) but I saw a demonstration of some new technology that was amazing.

So, how'd you like to see a presentation delivered using live holographic video feeds from across the world? It sounds like Star Trek, but it's here now. Cisco CEO John Chambers, speaking live on stage in Bangalore, "beamed up" two of his senior VPs from San Jose, CA using new holographic video conferencing and they had a discussion of the future of Cisco TelePresence. Now that is cool!

Somehow, I don't think people will want to go to all the trouble and expense of holographic technology to be bored out of their minds with a holographic image in front of a boatload of dull, bullet pointed slides. It may be one of the ways that the future of presenting will be driven back to a more personal and interactive approach. Wouldn't it be cool if the hologram looked like it was looking right at you, no matter where you sat in the room? You'd feel as if you were getting a personal session with the presenter. Just the two of you sitting down for a chat. No bullet points needed.

I'm sure the technology will be a while in filtering it's way to the general public, but I was just thinking that perhaps by the time my daughter goes to college (she's 1 now), that we'll be able to talk using our holographic images. How cool would that be? I could see her just like she was standing (or sitting) in the room with me. I could fuss at her for biting her nails or for coloring her hair fuschia. No hiding behind voice only communications! Ah, the possibilities!

It's amazing to me to think of all the things that technology will bring in my lifetime. My grandmother, who is soon to be 96, has gone from living in a home with no electricity or indoor plumbing to all the modern conveniences. I can only imagine what advances I'll look back on if/when I reach her age. And maybe holographic conferencing will be just another everyday thing in my home by then. Amazing...simply amazing.

No comments: